4/08/2011

How can I improve bad posture and alleviate back pain?


How can I improve bad posture and alleviate back pain?I am 6'1" and I slouch all the time, while both standing and sitting. I know I have to "keep my shoulders back" - but I can't, and often find myself completely hunched over while sitting for long periods of time. Sitting up straight feels uncomfortable, so I don't do it. But over the past few months, I've had back pain that is so bad, it hurts to lay down at night - I'm convinced that it's caused by my increasingly worse posture. How do I correct my posture and make it more comfortable to sit up? Not only does it look bad, but I know it's bad for me and it's causing additional pain.

Thank you!

Answer by Gypsy Girl
Start with a trip to the Chiropractor. You may need many visits to maintain correct posture. I find that I am able to sit up straighter after a visit to the chiropractor. The adjustments will make it easier for you to keep your shoulders back and sit up straight.

Answer by balletdncr
Strengthen your inner core such as abs. This will help you sit up better.

Answer by Monica B
Begin with a lumbar support pillow. Choose one that is a comfortable size for the small of your back (some were just WAY too large for my comfort). Scoot your hips all the way back in your chair, and slide the pillow down until it touches your rump. Then just keep leaning back! It will feel uncomfortable for 2-3 days, and then should feel better.

If this doesn't work, or if you think you have a serious problem, you may consider seeing a physical therapist. That's what I did - they taught me stretches to do that loosened up my muscles which made it easier to have good posture.

Good luck!

Answer by pgangel25
There is this strech you can do where you sit on the floor indian style. Lift one hand in the air and with your other hand grab your elbow and pull lightly behind your head. That naturally puts you in good posture...GOOD LUCK!

Answer by Deedzi Boi
You could try a pilates class, it improves posture.


Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Get information about back pain, lower back pain, neck pain, and sciatica, and learn about back pain causes, treatments, and medications.
Gobackpain Back Pain Health Center – Information and News About Back Pain

Orignal From: How can I improve bad posture and alleviate back pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment